Principal Software Engineering Manager
Job ID 47873
About the job
Are you looking for an opportunity to build software and systems for some of the biggest data centers that humanity has ever created? The Azure Networking team is responsible for designing and building the software defined network infrastructure that powers millions of servers around the globe for Azure, Bing and other Microsoft cloud services. Azure Networking is at the forefront of Hyperscale Cloud Computing and runs one of the largest datacenter network infrastructures in the world. The Azure Networking team works on the breadth of networking offerings. The physical network team manages all physical switches and routers inside Azure datacenters.
SONiC team owns all the software that is running on the switches and routers. We have lots of interesting problems to solve, such as supporting new generation switches ranging from 10G/40G to 100G/400G/800G, adding feature packet forwarding features, and providing extensive telemetry data for the switches. The team is also building vibrant open-source community for the switch software, which is adopted by various other cloud providers.
SONiC team is looking for world-class Software Engineering manager to help us in building the team and lead the team for the highest quality software with a game changing development model: Test Driven Development (TDD). And that eventually leads to Continuous Integration Continuous Delivery (CICD).
Microsoft’s mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. As employees we come together with a growth mindset, innovate to empower others and collaborate to realize our shared goals. Each day we build on our values of respect, integrity, and accountability to create a culture of inclusion where everyone can thrive at work and beyond.
- Partners with appropriate stakeholders to determine user requirements for a set of scenarios.
- Leads identification of dependencies and the development of design documents for a product, application, service, or platform.
- Leads by example and mentors others to produce extensible and maintainable code used across products.
- Leverages subject-matter expertise of cross-product features with appropriate stakeholders (e.g., project managers) to drive multiple group’s project plans, release plans, and work items.
- Holds accountability as a Designated Responsible Individual (DRI), mentoring engineers across products/solutions, working on-call to monitor system/product/service for degradation, downtime, or interruptions.
- Proactively seeks new knowledge and adapts to new trends, technical solutions, and patterns that will improve the availability, reliability, efficiency, observability, and performance of products while also driving consistency in monitoring and operations at scale and shares knowledge with other engineers.
- OR equivalent experience.
- Proven experience in requirement analysis, feature design or test plan writing.
- Proven experience in one of the following areas: Ethernet, VLANs, IP Routing, TCP/IP, BGP, QoS, L2-L3 protocols, Platform validation, QOS, network management.
- People management experience
- Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science or related technology field.
- Knowledge of UNIX or Linux.
- Familiarity with test automation tools and scripting languages.
- Experience with agile methodology.
- Strong communication skills.
- Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE) certification is a plus.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. Consistent with applicable law, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, immigration status, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran or military status, race, ethnicity, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable local laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application process, read more about requesting accommodations.
Group Product Manager – Jira Software Cloud, Growth Full time Remote