Machine Learning Intern, Research (Summer 2024)
Job ID 47846
About the job
Netflix is reinventing entertainment from end to end. We are revolutionizing how shows and movies are produced, pushing technological boundaries to efficiently deliver streaming video at a massive scale over the internet, and continuously improving the personalization of how entertainment is presented to our more than 238 million members around the globe.
It’s no secret that we want to entertain the world. In order to do that we first must hire and develop the best people, starting with university students.
If you have a passion for solving challenging problems; learning how to build scalable, robust systems; love working with the latest technologies in a fast-paced, flexible environment; and are excited at the prospect of having a significant impact on software that over 238 million people use and love, then we want to talk to you.
Applied Machine Learning Research at Netflix improves various aspects of our business, including member experience and personalization algorithms, recommendations and search, messaging, content valuation, media understanding, tooling for artists, and streaming video optimization, to mention a few. As such, our research spans many Machine Learning research fields, including recommender systems, causal inference, reinforcement learning, computer vision, computer graphics, Generative AI, multimedia processing, natural language processing, optimization, operations research, and systems. Great applied research also requires great Machine Learning infrastructure, another large area of emphasis at Netflix.
In the summer of 2024, Netflix will be hosting a small number of Machine Learning Research internships and Machine Learning Engineering and infrastructure internships. Applicants are encouraged to express their interest in one or both types of internships.
We are looking for individuals with the following qualifications:
- Currently enrolled PhD or MS student in the Machine Learning space.
- Experience with at least one of the following ML areas:
- Personalization & Recommender Systems
- Natural Language Processing
- Computer Vision, Graphics, & Multimodal ML
- Generative AI
- Search & Conversational AI
- Causal Inference
- Reinforcement Learning & Bandits
- ML Platform & Infrastructure
- Experience programming in at least one programming language (e.g. Python, Scala, Java or C/C++).
- Curious, self-motivated, and excited about solving open-ended challenges at Netflix.
- Great communication skills, both oral and written
Nice To Have
- Publications in relevant conferences or journals.
- Comfortable with distributed computing environments such as Spark or Presto.
- Comfortable with software engineering best practices (e.g. version control, testing, code review, etc.)
In Order For Your Application To Be Considered Complete
- You will be sent an Airtable form shortly after you submit your application on our careers site; your application will not be considered complete until you fill out and submit this form.
- Include a Resume or CV with complete contact information (email, phone, mailing address) and a list of relevant coursework and publications (if applicable)
- In the Airtable form, you will be asked to select exactly one ML area for your potential internship. This will be used to map your application to particular teams & projects.
- You will be asked to include a short (max one page) statement describing your research experiences and interests, and (optionally) their relevance to Netflix Research. For inspiration, have a look at the Netflix research site.
The Summer Internship
At Netflix, we offer a personalized experience for interns, and our aim is to offer an experience that mimics what it is like to actually work here. We match qualified interns with projects and groups based on interests and skill sets, and fully embed interns within those groups for the summer. Netflix is a unique place to work and we live by our values, so it’s worth learning more about our culture.
Internships are paid and are a minimum of 12 weeks, with a choice of a few fixed start dates in May or June 2024 to accommodate varying school calendars. Conditions permitting, our 2024 summer internships will be located in our Los Gatos, CA office, or in our Los Angeles, CA office, depending on the team.
At Netflix, we carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors to determine the Intern top of market. We rely on market indicators to determine compensation and consider your specific job, skills, and experience to get it right. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary and will also be dependent on your location.
The overall market range for Netflix Internships is typically $40/hour – $110/hour.
This market range is based on total compensation (vs. only base salary), which is in line with our compensation philosophy. Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.
We are an equal opportunity employer and celebrate diversity, recognizing that diversity of thought and background builds stronger teams. We approach diversity and inclusion seriously and thoughtfully. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, national origin, caste, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic makeup, marital status, or military service.
Data Scientist (L5) – Infrastructure Experimentation Full time Remote