There are various entry points available for those interested in pursuing a career in cyber security. With the ever-present danger posed by cybercrime, the need for jobs in this field is higher than ever.
A shortage of educated cyber security specialists is predicted to leave 1.8 million jobs vacant by 2022, and the industry is growing at three times the rate of other information technology fields. The digital infrastructure of companies, institutions, charitable organizations, and even the government is at risk due to a lack of competent personnel.
This indicates that the time is right to establish oneself in a field that is fast growing and changing. Artificial intelligence, voice and image recognition, data analytics, biometrics, and mobile devices are all essential components of comprehensive cyber security.
The future workforce in cybersecurity will require a varied mix of skill sets. According to the information that Cyberseek provides on the current state of the cyber security job market, there are five “feeder roles” that are required for the majority of entry-level jobs:
- The development of software
- Systems engineering
- Analyses of both finances and risks
- Intelligence for security purposes
The vast majority of entry-level positions require interaction with people working in all areas of a company or organization, including personnel with no background in technology.
A worker in cyber security has various responsibilities. They question the established order, use analytical approaches to find solutions, protect sensitive information, and collaborate with others to comprehend better and address issues.
Different kinds of entry-level positions in the field of cyber security
Try not to let the depth and breadth of capabilities overwhelm you. When you first start in the field of cyber security, no one expects you to be an expert in everything. Computer Science Master Degrees provides a handy choice chart that allows you to connect your hobbies with potential careers. This chart can be utilized if you are looking for a place to begin.
It is not always easy to find entry-level employment positions in the subject of cyber security, which is still considered to be in its early stages and is constantly undergoing change. According to the National Institute for Cybersecurity Education (NICE), the following resume keywords are essential for workers in the field of cyber security: operating and maintaining; overseeing and regulating; protecting and defending; analyzing and researching; gathering and operating
The following are some positions that persons who are new to the field frequently hold:
- Analyst of Information and Computer Security. It is one of the most well-liked job postings for an entry-level position in the cyber security industry. Information and security analysts are responsible for the safety measures that keep information and computer networks safe. These duties include planning, putting in place, updating, and keeping an eye on security systems.
- Junior Penetration Tester. It is a “good hacker” kind of work, in which testers actively try to break a company’s security measures, evaluate the efficacy of an organization’s protection systems, and report on actual or possible weak points. This job is a position that requires someone who is a “good hacker.” Networks, web apps, and mobile software could all fall under this category.
- Computer Networks and Operating Systems Administrator. This duty entails ensuring that a network continues to operate correctly. Monitoring access logs, establishing and validating backups based on the web, taking actions to secure the network, and recognizing suspicious activities are typical duties that fall under this category.
The threat posed by cybercrime is an ever-present one because thieves have access to increasingly sophisticated equipment. Employers are looking for individuals who can assist them in reducing risks, storing data securely, and conveying their organization’s security demands to managers and other employees.
If you choose to start a career in cybersecurity, you can rest assured that there will always be new things to learn, challenges to solve, and job opportunities to investigate.