Additional Director-General Government of India
Sector: Higher EducationMember Since, October 9, 2023
Open To Work
I am a development professional and a Civil Servant with 25 years of experience across Public Policy formulation, Implementation, academics, monitoring & evaluation, capacity development, education, industry-academia collaboration, international cooperation, and media & communication;
– In leadership positions of cross-functional teams in policy-making and implementation
– Advising Ministers and Senior officials in the Government of India on media strategy and communication
– Capacity development for Senior Civil Servants and Training Management
– Teaching evidence-based policymaking, economics, management, communication, public administration at the premier Civil Service Academy – LBSNAA;
– Visiting Faculty at Civil Service Academy of Senior Administrative and Foreign Service Officers.
– Industry-Academia collaboration, Higher Education Funding for premier higher education institutions including IITs and IIITs;
– International cooperation for the education sector at the federal level;
– Stakeholders engagement/Negotiation with business associations like CII/FICCI, foreign countries, regional groupings, and international organizations such as UNESCO and World Bank;
– Development communication by collaborating across administrative set-up at the Federal, State, District and sub-district level;
-Invited regularly as a speaker and panelist at various fora
– General & Financial Administration,
– Project implementation,
– Keen understanding of national & international social, political, technological and economic environment.
Specialties: Policy formulation, Programme Implementation, Capacity Development for Civil Servants, Training Programme Management, Academics (Management, Economics, Evidence-based policy design, communication), Higher Education Policy and Management, Internationalization of Education; Bilateral/Multilateral negotiations, engagement with other countries/multilateral institutions; Strategy/planning, Leadership of cross-functional teams, Media policy & regulation, Media Strategy, Media Management and Media consulting; Co-ordination with stakeholders in political and administrative machinery, Development communication, Crisis communication management, Public Policy & Regulation, Project/ Program Implementation, General and Financial Administration;
PG (Public Policy & Management), Public Policy, Strategy & Finance (2007 - 2009) Indian Institute of Management Bangalore
* Awarded Gold Medal for securing the top rank in the PGPPM (Post Graduation in Public Policy and Management) * Worked on Dissertation \An Analysis of Public Policy Interventions, Growth and Strategies of Media Conglomerates in the Post-Liberalization Era\ under Prof. J. Ramachandran and Prof. Ashwin Mahesh * A number of papers on social and economic public policy issues, strategy and finance.
International Public Policy (2007 - 2007) Maxwell School of Public Affairs & Citizenship, Syracuse University, New York
- Secured 1st rank in the semester - Major project on \Elementary Education Reforms in Brazil: Lessons for India\
IIS Officer's Training, Govt Administration, Media Management, Media Policy & Regulation, Films, Advertising (1999 - 2000) Indian Institute of Mass Communication, New Delhi
* Short-term course at Film & Television Institute of India (FTII) Pune in television production and at National Film Archives of India (NFAI), Pune, India in Understanding of Cinema and Film Appreciation
Civil Service Officers' Foundation Course, Public Administration, Economics, Management and Law (1998 - 1998) Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration, Mussoorie
Activities and societies: Won the 1st prize for the group stage play; Participated in role-acting competition Awarded bronze medal for the Rural visit programme
Bachelor of Technology - BTech, Electrical and Electronics Engineering (1991 - 1995) Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
Activities and societies: Associated with Prayas Foundation, Bhopal working in the area of education and rural development. Also associated with Sadbhavana Mission at IIT Delhi working in the area of education for slum dwellers and communal harmony.
Work & Experience
Press Information Bureau, Government of India (2023 - Present ) Additional Director General (Media & Communication)
-Head of Media & Communication for the Federal Ministry of Power and Federal Ministry of New & Renewable Energy, advising Ministers & Secretaries to Federal Government on media communication -Head of Fact Check Division tasked with flagging fake and misleading news relating to the Government of India, -Head of Social Media Division tasked with social media strategy and communication through multiple media platforms;
Press Information Bureau, Government of India (2023 - 2023 ) Additional Director General (Media & Communication)
-Head of Media Management of the Federal Ministry of Power & Ministry of New & Renewable Energy, and Election Commission of India
Press Information Bureau, Government of India (2021 - 2023 ) Additional Director General (Media & Communication)
-Head of Media Management for the Federal Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Ministry of Food, Public Distribution & Consumer Affairs, Ministry of Heavy Industries & Ministry of Textiles
Development Monitoring and Evaluation Office, NITI Aayog (2020 - 2021 ) Deputy Director General
Development Monitoring and Evaluation Office, NITI Aayog (2019 - 2020 ) Director
-Working with Federal & Provincial governments, International Organizations, and Academic & Research Institutions to develop M&E Ecosystem in India; -Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) of Government programs; -Partnership with International Development Organizations, Provincial Governments, and Academic & Research Institutions; -Capacity Building of officials of the Federal and Provincial governments in M&E; -Output-Outcome Monitoring Framework for over 50 programmes of the Government of India ; -Inputs on Expenditure Finance Committee/Public Investment Board/Standing Finance Committee documents of government programs
Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration (LBSNAA) Mussoorie, Government of India (2016 - 2019 ) Senior Deputy Director and Faculty
Academics, Capacity Building, Training programme management, Institutional collaboration - Teach Economics, Management, Decision-making for Civil Servants and Public Administration combining theory with practice and normative with positive approaches. - Training Programme Management – Leading as well as member of Programme Management teams for higher civil services; Collaborating with premier academic institutions, international organizations like UN and Work Bank, Private Sector and Non-government organizations for the training of senior civil servants - Trainer for Harvard University’s Evidence-based-Policy Design (Epod) modules, Leadership module developed by CCL (Centre for Creative Leadership), USA and Negotiation module by Harvard University and Bocconi School, Italy. - Counsellor for Civil Service Officer Trainees with a view to advice them on various facets of governance including public policy formulation, urban governance, public sector management, human development, rural development, welfare programme, poverty alleviation, human development, social inclusion, public service delivery, leadership, law and order and disaster management during their two-year long Induction Training in Indian Administrative Service - Member, “Samvad” - LBSNAA Knowledge Management Centre, Management Team (https://samvad.lbsnaa.gov.in/) - Member Secretary, Editorial Board, The Administrator journal - Deputy Director In-charge, IT initiatives - Integrated Financial Advisor
MINISTRY OF EDUCATION, GOVERNMENT OF INDIA (2015 - 2016 ) Director (International Cooperation)
-Policy initiatives for strengthening bilateral/multilateral cooperation in education and internationalization of Education; -Represented India in various International and Bilateral Fora on education for negotiating and advancing India’s interests -Promotion of bilateral & multilateral cooperation in education with other countries through MoUs/ Agreements, participation of India’s premier institutions/univesities and forging common position on issues of interst to India - Interact with MEA, Ministry of Commerce & Industry, DST, Indian embassies abroad and Foreign missions in India for strengthening India’s multilateral/bilateral engagements in education. - Oversee work of Indian National Commission on Cooperation with UNESCO (INCUU) as Secretary, INCCUU; Coordination with UN agencies and UNESCO/Government of India supported UNESCO-I category Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Peace and Sustainable Development (MGIEP) - Organize Regional Conferences relating to the field of Education. - Oversee operations of Auroville Foundation and SICI (Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute)
MINISTRY OF EDUCATION, GOVERNMENT OF INDIA (2012 - 2015 ) Director (IIT & IIIT Division), Department of Higher Education
- Head of Division consisting of 16 premier institutes IITs (Indian Institute of Technology) and 4 IIITs (Indian Institute of Information Technology) with budgetary allocation of over 4000 crore rupees - Led a project for establishment of 20 IIITs through PPP mode in coordination with state governments and industry. - Member of Finance Committees of IITs; Board of Governors and Finance Committees of IIITs - Policy formulation, collaboration, advocacy and policy analysis for achieving excellence in technical education in India - Collaborated with IITs and IIMs on improving quality of technical education in India through World Bank\'s TEQIP. - International collaboration of IITs, including with Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) on VLFM and CSM project; Part of Indian mission to Japan on VLFM project and Indian Mission to London for UK-India Task Force on Research & Innovation and discussions on finalization of UKIERI-III. - Collaborated with Industry Associations like CII, FICCI for greater Industry-Academia collaboration between IITs and Industry and National Initiative on Technology Transfer. Member of CII Committee on Higher Education
Doordarshan News, Prasar Bharati, Government of India (2011 - 2012 ) Director/Joint Director (News)
- Strategic planning, resource allocation and overall leadership of cross-functional news team, made up of correspondents, copy writers, editors, anchors, research staff, production and technical staff. - Worked on policy issues relating to news, social media, human resource, and administration keeping in mind the public broadcaster’s mandate and emerging competition - Part of the media team for the Prime Minister\'s visit to Bangladesh in Oct 2011
Press Information Bureau. Ministry of Information & Broadcasting, Government of India (2005 - 2011 ) Joint/Deputy Director (Media & Communication)
- Head, Administration, Western Region consisting of 7 branch offices and 90 employees; Budgetary mgmt and Organizational development; Strategizing and implementing resource-rationalization measures through policy changes and synergizing organizational activities. - Policy formulation for Public Private Partnership (PPP) in Integrated Communication project (Social Mktg.) of Govt of India; and outsourcing of organizational activities for focus on core activities, operational efficiency and costs. - Strategy formulation, planning & leadership in multi-media Integrated Communication project in social marketing of Indian government in rural areas, involving departments of Union Ministry of Information & Broadcasting and other federal ministries in co-ordination with the political and administrative leadership at state/district/sub-district level and NGOs in Western India - Advising Ministers and Secretary level officers on media and policy communication; devising & implementing innovative strategies for better media management of VVIPs (PM, President & Union Ministers) in Western Region. - Part of core management team with presidential staff/country consulate on media strategic planning and implementation for US President Barack Obama\'s, French President Nicholas Sarkozy\'s, and Russian President Dmitry Mededev\'s visit to Mumbai. - E-governance - Strategizing on automation of key organizational processes in the western region, resources required, re-organization/training of human resources and process audit for streamlining the media delivery system. - Head, PIB, Mumbai Website – a B2B website with over 3 lakh hits in first year; Led a team to transform a previously archaic website into a dynamic website improving communication flow and creating an effective tool for media management and resource optimization. - Providing consultancy to various Central Government Organizations on brand communication and media management
Ministry of Defence, Government of India (2005 - 2007 ) Assitant Director (Media & Communication)
- Media Advisor to Ministry of Defence - Media management strategy formulation, execution and Advisory role for Army (HQ Maharashtra, Gujarat & Goa), Navy (Western Naval Command), Air Force, and Coast Guard regional headquarters in Mumbai - Media Management for Indo-US, Indo-UK Naval Exercises off Goa Coast; and Indo-Japan joint Coast Guard exercises off Mumbai Coast.
Doordarshan News, Prasar Bharati, Government of India (2004 - 2005 ) Head (Business News Division)
- Indian Public Broadcaster with the highest reach; Part of DD News, Additional Director General’s core team on channel planning, strategy formulation & implementation - Ideation, planning (resource and content), and execution of a new Business News Division in DD News, New Delhi along with creation of an all-India network with State-level organizations. The daily business news programme generated up to 7 minutes of advertisements in the prime-time slot. - Headed the Business News Unit at DD News, New Delhi consisting of 15 members cross-functional team for daily national news bulletins and special programmes on Union General Budget, Railway Budget, Credit & Monetary Policy, Trade Policy etc. - Anchored business shows during Budget and News programmes on DD News, New Delhi - Part of Prime Minister’s team to Bangkok, Thailand for BIMSTEC summit, 2004.
DD News, Prasar Bharati, Government of India (2003 - 2005 ) Head (DD News Website)
- Led a cross-functional team for strategic transformation of DD News Website involving content and technological solutions; cross-media business alignment with television news. - Project implementation for tech transformation from Broadvision to Microsoft Platform; The hit rate went up from five thousand to 1.7 lakhs per day and over 22 lakhs on days of Union Budget and General Elections within a period of 6 months as a result of tech, content related and organizational changes. - Content management: led a team of 14 content editors and senior content editors; General administration and HR Management of content managers.
DD News, Prasar Bharati, Government of India (2000 - 2003 ) Assistant Director (Newsroom Operations)
- Led a cross-functional team of 40 people including anchors, bulletin editors, copy-writers, packaging staff, producers & engineers; - Ideation, task assignment, Resource planning, Co-ordination with State Units, Handling of Live Broadcasts.